Johnny Hinshaw is a control room worker at the Chicago airport who acts as if he is insane, making obscure comments throughout the movie. His character is played by Stephen Stucker.
- Controller: Bad news. The fog's getting thicker.
Johnny: [jumps to an overweight controller] And Leon's getting laaaaarrrrrger.
- Reporter: What kind of plane is it?
Johnny: Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol.
- McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make out of this? [hands Johnny the weather briefing]
Johnny: This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl...
- McCroskey: I need the best man on this. Someone who knows that plane inside and out and won't crack under pressure.
Johnny: How about Mister Rogers?
- Ted: Mayday! Mayday!
McCroskey: What the heck is that?
Johnny: Why, that's the Russian New Year. We can have a parade and serve hot hors d'oeuvres...
- Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights] Just kidding.
- Johnny: The tower... the tower? Rapunzel, Rapunzel!
- McCroskey [to Mrs. Oveur]: Now your husband and the others are alive, but unconscious.
Johnny: Just like Gerald Ford.
- Johnny: Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, Toto! It's a twister! It's a twister!
- McCroskey: Johnny, how 'bout some more coffee?
Johnny: No thanks!
- [reading newspaper headlines]
Kramer: Passengers certain to die!
McCroskey: Airline negligent.
Johnny: There's a sale at Penney's!
- Johnny [to Mrs. Oveur]: Where did you get that dress, it's awful, and those shoes and that coat, jeeeeez!
- Kramer: All right, I'll need three men up at the tower. You, Neubauer. You, Macias.
Johnny: Me, John, big tree!